Wednesday, April 18, 2012

School

I have recently just switched my major over from biology to human services. I think that's what I want to do, or so I am pretty sure. I wanted to blog about this because I feel like it's an important topic. Especially with the gradual increase of tuition time after time.

Originally, I wanted to go to school to study biology - my BS. But after this semester taking Gen Chem 1, I have changed my mind. Everyone says that Gen Chem 2 is much harder. And I'm thinking like, "HOW THE HECK AM I GONNA DO GEN CHEM 2?" So I thought about long hard and switching is what I have come to. It really sucks because I'm in the 2nd semester of my 3rd year in college and now I don't even know what my expected graduation date it. So sad. Not that I was going to graduate on time since my advisor suggested the wrong math class as my pre-req for chem. But it is what it is.

With that, I wanted to share my thoughts about college. You know, everyone thinks that you should know what you want to do when you graduate high school. But really, you shouldn't or so, you don't have to. College is a time to explore and from there, really know what you want to do. Everyone thinks that you should know what you want from college but that's not true - for the most part. I thought I wanted to go to med school but it's not. I wish I knew that earlier. I wish I was able to explore other careers so I don't have to go through what I am now - switching majors and graduating WAY past  my expected grad date. However, I want to encourage those who really don't know what they want to do. It takes time to know and figure what you want to become and the kind of career you want to be working for the rest of your life. It's not always easy but with time, you'll definitely get there. Like me, ha. College it serious stuff especially when you're taking out massive loans. Then you gotta think about what you want to do when you only have 2 years. After 2 1/2 years (which is late) I sort of know what I want to do. So, continue to go to school and HAVE YOUR OPTIONS OPEN! I can't stress that enough.

Lastly, I want to thank my husband, friends, family and most importantly God for having been so supportive of this significant change in my life.

Thanks for reading. What are your thoughts? What are you going to school for? Do you know what you want to major in?
Anna

6 comments:

  1. I totally know how you feel! It took me 9 (and a lot of mistakes) years to actually get my BS in Business Administration. (now if I could find a job). Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a BS in business admin and no job?!? Thats just crazy! And thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. I was lucky and graduated with my BA in English Literature in 4 years, but now I am finishing up my 3rd year of my MA in English Literature and I'm still not done... I have to write my thesis :( It's very hard! I don't think anyone was really honest with me about how difficult grad school is, and they make it sound like there are no negatives to getting an MA. It's very expensive, though, and in this economy you won't necessarily be able to use an MA right out of school, which makes taking out loans to pay for the degree make less and less sense... Also, I originally wanted to go as a stepping stone towards a PhD program, but I can no longer afford to do it, so I'm left feeling like there's not much I want to do that I can do with my MA, but that I couldn't do with a BA alone. I also feel like I missed out on a lot of "real world" experiences, and that school is holding me back at this point... Now, I am all about getting an education if that is what you want, but I think a lot of people are made to feel that there aren't other options when it's simply not true, and I think that school is too inflexible. For instance (and I know this is personal, but it's a big part of my school experience), my mom was diagnosed with a terminal illness the summer before I started my MA degree, and I spent my first semester caring for her, and she passed away the last week of that term. I've been trying to juggle grieving with a rigourous academic schedule, and that's been really hard. However, because I am part of the CSU system that is getting slammed with budget cuts, I couldn't take time off without jeopardizing losing my spot in the program, and loans, grants, etc... are slowly disappearing, so I felt like I had to keep pushing myself to get through the program before the state of California took away all of the funding, even though I was in no state to do so. Luckily, I'm done with my coursework now, but even as tuition has gone up 10% each semester, grants for grad students are a thing of the past, and unsubsidized student loans are no longer being offered, either... Sorry to rant, but I feel like it should be getting easier to get an education, not harder, and you really struck a nerve with me! I feel for you; hang in there, and stay true to yourself when making these decisions! And sometimes it is hard to let go of feeling guilty or like a failure if you don't graduate "on time" (at least for me), but it's important to remember that life doesn't always go as planned, and at least you are still working towards your goal, which is the important part! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, that's a big hunk of text... Sorry!

      Delete
    2. I hope you youre fully recovered from the loss of you mom. Sorry to hear. This semester, I lost my grandpa and its been so hard. Props to you for making this far!! (Btw, that wasnt personal, this whole post was personal LOL) But I totally know what you mean about school and all. They keep encouraging people to go school, go to school but how can we when tuition is jacking up high as ever! I cant even imagine how much grad school is. A friend of mind who has he MA in physical therapy and she said it took her months to write up her thesis as well. Hope thats coming out well for you. And youre right. No one has been honest with me either from the start of college. All they talk about is the good things and how beneficial it is to go to school. But no one talks about the hard nights studying, the ever long list of homework and especially the prices. Besides the the hard work seems like it paid off! Your working on your MA now! (= And ranting here! I really enjoy reading all my comments.

      Delete
  3. I graduated in January with my Associates in Early Childhood Development. I eventually want to go back for my Bachelors in Elementary Education.

    ReplyDelete